Boxing Cat Brewery, Shanghai

When it comes to comfort food, almost nothing compares to good ole hearty American Southern cuisine. As much as we hate it, lard, butter, and grease are all necessary evils and ingredients for wholesome and tasty foods from the South. Bold with taste, it is also unfortunately quite filling. But every once and awhile, you’ve got to splurge and enjoy some of the finer things in life – and foods is a little that we should all have.


Tonight, Mr. F and I decided on Boxing Cat, I have to admit I was craving some Western food, after a week of rice and noodles . . . Could you blame me? Anyways, soon after arriving to our table, I looked over the menu and the Lazy Man Fried Chicken’s words just jumped out at me. And when it arrived, it was like the famed Los Angeles restaurant Rosco’s, yet boneless. For some reason, I like chicken with bones, rather than boneless. I’m not sure why, but I feel its more authentic rather than industrialized. Anyways. . .I like the added biscuits, which – like Southern biscuits and gravy, it’ll fills you up if the chicken hasn’t. Later we decided to share the Reuben, Gumbo, and some Fried Mac & Cheese. In my never ending search for great pastrami in Shanghai, the Reuben was fine, but not something I’d recommend. Mr. F, in particular enjoyed the Crispy Creamy Fried Mac & Cheese. I liked it with the BBQ sauce. Actually I like almost anything with BBQ sauce. I did enjoy the gumbo which was spicy and flavorful. We were so full that we barely finished half. Understandably, our eyes were bigger than our stomachs.

Make sure you also try some of their great beers. Unfortunately, I didn’t try them this time. They also have a great contest in which if you drink 12 regular sized beers in 2 hours (about 1 every 10 minutes), you get a T-Shirt, the 12 beers are free, and your picture on the wall of fame. And you cannot puke at all within the 2 hours. I am seriously considering this, but I am not sure if I would survive.

Check out my post of the brunch we had Boxing Cat. Also, look for Kelley Lee’s other restaurants Alchemist Kitchen and Cantina Agave.

What to Order: Lazy Man Fried Chicken, Gumbo, and Crispy Creamy Fried Mac & Cheese
What not to Order: Rueben

Rating
2 Pigs
Price Range 2 $/¥/NT


Boxing Cat Brewery
兴路82, 近永福路
82 Fuxing West Road, Xuhui, 徐汇区 – +86 21-64312091

思南公馆26A, 复兴中路519, 近思南路
519 Fuxing Middle Road, Luwan, Shanghai – +86 21-64260360
boxingcatbrewery.com

Image.jpeg

Crispy Creamy Fried Mac & Cheese, Served with Tangy BBQ Sauce 45 RMB

Image_1.jpeg

G-Man's Swampy Southern Gumbo, Authentic Deep South Gumbo: A Scoop of Rice Smothered in a Spicy Broth with Homemade Andouille Sausage, Duck, Smoked Hunan Bacon, and a Whole Lotta Spice! Cup 40 RMB, Main 80 RMB

Image_2.jpeg

Reuben the Almighty, lean brisket, sliced thin and stacked up high on rye bread with swiss cheese, sauerkraut, homemade russian dressing & whole grain mustard 80 RMB

Image_3.jpeg

Lazy Man Fried Chicken, boneless chicken marinated in buttermilk & spices, served with rosemary biscuits & lots of cream gravy 85 RMB


Comments