Best Pastrami in the World - Katz

This is the place where Meg Ryan had the famous scene in When Harry Met Sally. Among other things, this place has a pretty good Pastrami and Corned Beef Sandwich. It is also New York's oldest deli. Not just good, but probably the best in the world.

When I first got there, there was a long line going out the door. Everyone was getting a ticket or something. I guess it was just an ordering ticket. Kinda weird. Then everyone - mostly tourists, stood behind 1 line to make an order. My friend drags me to a shorter line and says . . . those tourists don't know how this system works.

When you walk up and order, they give you a little plate to sample while they make your sandwich. Gosh, my mouth is watering while I type this. The meat is juicy and tender and flavorful. The meat is just a little flaky, but not too much. The meat is savory, but not too much.

Then the sandwich arrives. This thing is hugh!. The bread is just right as it holds the meat with the slathered mustard. The sandwich is large enough to split for two people. I only wish I had a chance to try the other sandwiches, too.

This place is so good, that one of my friends, who recently moved to New York, went to Katz twice a week for a couple of months. I've had the thin sliced pastrami from the Hat, Johnnies, Tops in Los Angeles, and the New York style from Canters and Langers. . . but they all don't compare to Katz. Not at all. Hand down. A sandwich at Katz, means I win.

Katz's Deli
Lower East Side
205 E Houston St
New York, NY 10002
(212) 254-2246
www.katzdeli.com



Katz's Deli on Urbanspoon

Comments

  1. i agree... katz's pastrami is YUMMY but you definitely get what you pay for... it's no bargain! and they used to be open 24 hours and now they close at 1 or 2am which kinda sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so close to going there, but I still haven't made it :(
    I was just half a block away, at Russ & Daughter's ... next year, next year ...

    oh btw, the funny/interesting/cool thing you have ... so Yelp! :P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment