Mundo Cafe & Restaurant

What a nice little restaurant.

I had just arrived from the airport and my friends took me to Mundo. After a couple of imported beers, we got our appetizers - the Red Sonia, Beef Empanadas, and the Eggplant dip. The Red Sonia is one of the most unique dishes I have ever had. It says on the menu that it is their signature dish. I don't even know how to describe it. But it is different and tasty - and I would order it again. The Beef empanadas were good - I did like the mild sweetness from the raisons. The eggplant dip was really good. Wasn't your typical dip - like a cheesy spinach, this one felt quite healthy. The eggplant dip with the bread was also, like the red sonia, was something unique and original.

The entree I ordered - the chicken. . . . wasn't so good. It was a bit dry. I would have given Mundo's 4 stars for this alone. But all together, I think this place deserves 5. I did get a chance to try my friend's turkish meatballs. This, on the other hand, was tasty. I did think that I did choose unwisely.

I felt that the unique flavors from Argentina and Turkey blended well. I did enjoy the food. I would have liked to try other dishes. This is a place I would recommend as well.

I do also make one note - when the bill came from the credit card - it stated that the tips be in cash. It was the first time I had seen that. Mundos is a nice place away from the hustle and bustle of Manhattan - one of hidden gems.

Mundo Cafe & Restaurant
3118E Broadway
Astoria, NY 11106
(718) 777-2829

http://www.mundoastoria.com



This is Mundo's Red Sonia. It's a popular and interesting dish. From Flickr member mcotner.

Mundo Café & Restaurant on Urbanspoon

Comments