Blu La Cafe, Downtown Los Angeles

I found this place on a recommendation from a friend. We were looking for a non-Asian place to go. Then my buddy starts talking about a cafe, how cool it is, with artwork, and great burgers. All I heard blah blah blah and GREAT BURGERS!

Right next to Cole's and the Association. After dinner, you can get drinks, right next door.

Nothing gets between me and menu with burgers. Ok, maybe mac'n cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches, too. But still, burgers at almost any restaurant will get ordered by me. Something so simple, yet so common, restaurants will do their interpretation of the classic. Though it is hard to make into a disaster, it isn't easy to make it mind-blowingly memorable. In this case, I think Blu La Cafe will get high marks, but not quite the highest. The bread - on their signature Blu La Cafe Burger, the soft buns, held together nicely. The juices, the meat, and the veggies with mayo were all held together well. I assume that the burger patty was hand packed from scratch, since it fell apart while I was eating it. And that's a good thing. Though the only negative comment I had was that it was a bit too salty or seasoned a bit too much. Other than that, it was a solid burger.

My compatriots had the Monterey Burger, heavily influenced by our waitress. I might have ordered that if I wasn't swayed by the text of "award-winning" for the Blu La Cafe Burger. The bite I tried from the Monterey Burger had the kick from the jalapenos and monterey jack cheese. I think the slightly over savoriness of the burger melds well with the spiciness.

There was also a couple of orders of the turkey lasagna. Unfortunately, one of them came out a bit runny and not cooked all the way. Yet my other friend finished his, in record time. The small bite that I tried wasn't all that bad. But it isn't something I would fret over or suggest ordering.

There were two things that stood out on consensus. The fries and the fried mushroom ravioli. The shoestring fries, that came with my burger, were stolen, fry by fry, from my plate before I was able to finish my burger. I think I only had a couple of fries. They were thin, crispy, and not-all-too greasy, which they ought to be. Then the fried mushroom ravioli, fried ravioli stuffed w/ portobello mushroom, ricotta cheese & romano cheese, served w/ house chili oil, were the hit of the night. The chili oil was so good, they we used it as a substitute for ketchup for the fries. The two orders we had, were split among us all and were quickly devoured. I think one of girls' mouths was orgasming with delight - Miss B. Because of the ravioli, my friends made a blood pack to return again.

Anyways . . .Blu La is a nice joint in the heart of Downtown LA, next to Cole's and the Association. Parking will be a challenge, but I think well worth it.

Some of the decor from inside.

This is the Shiraz we had that night. I'm not a big wine drinker, but it was fine. Blu La Cafe only serves wine and beer. Also, the wine prices were very reasonable for the quality.

Fried Mushroom Ravioli! Excellent. Yet, I think the house chili oil sauce was the sleepy hit.

The Turkey Lasagna. I wouldn't suggest ordering that.

The Tamarid Salmon. This was a bit on the dry side.

This was my Blu La Cafe Burger - award-winning burger features house-made 1/2 lb. angus beef patty, topped w/ bacon, blue cheese, garlic mayo, lettuce & tomato on a toasted brioche bun. Fantastic burger, but little too savory, though.

The Monterey Burger - house-made 1/2 lb. angus beef patty, topped w/ monterey jack cheese, jalapenos, avocado, tomato, lettuce, & mayo on a brioche bun.


Blu La Cafe
126 E 6th St
Los Angeles, CA 90014
(213) 488-2088
www.blu.la

Blu LA Café on Urbanspoon
Blu LA Cafe in Los Angeles

Comments

Post a Comment