Oinkster with a so-so Pastrami, but a really good BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich

Slow Fast Food is Oinkster's mantra for their pastrami, burgers, and fries.
Look for this sign and a crowd almost any night at Oinkster.

After watching the Food Network's Diner's, Drive-in's, and Dive's episode of Oinkster, I knew I had to try this nearby joint. This burger stand, yet a bit more than just a burger stand, seems like any local fast food restaurant. You order at the counter, find a table, and bathrooms outside - it's like any hole-in-the-wall.

Yet, I liked the spartan amenities, since it interested me. Our group ordered The House Cured Pastrami, the Oinkster Pastrami, the Classic Burger, and the BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich. The House Cured Pastrami (Our pastrami is cured for two weeks, rubbed with a special spice blend and smoked with applewood, for $7.99) was a bit ordinary. I didn't find the flavor all that different than that of the Hat's. The Oinkster Pastrami with Gruyere cheese, caramelized onion and red cabbage slaw for $8.99 was a bit better with the red cabbage slaw. But it still not something I would fully recommend. The Classic Burger 1/3 pound (Our burgers are made from fresh ground Nebraska Angus beef with our own thousand island dressing, house cured dill pickles, onions, tomato and lettuce for $4.75) was just a burger, though I did like the crisp lettuce. But I did thoroughly enjoy the BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich (Our pork is brined with soy and honey then slowly roasted and smoked. It's a big deal with red cabbage slaw, caramelized onions and Carolina bbq sauce for $6.99. I like the flavor with the red cabbage. I think the thinly sliced pork is perfect for a sandwich. The sweetness you get from the honey and the onions was really good. Too bad, this wasn't my sandwich, yet I kept asking for more little bites, here and there.

What to Order: BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich
What not to Order: Burger, maybe not the Pastrami - a bit overrated.

Rating
1 pigs, $$

The Oinkster
2005 Colorado Blvd.
Eagle Rock, CA
323-255-oink tel
323-255-6464 Fax
http://www.theoinkster.com
http://twitter.com/theoinkster

The Oinkster Menu

The BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich. This was my favorite sandwich. I didn't much care for the Pastrami's.

The Classic Burger. Just a burger, nothing special

The Oinkster Pastrami notice the red cabbage slaw. I liked this one better than the House Cured Pastrami.

House Cured Pastrami seems similar to the pastrami above.

Chili Fries. The Fries were very good. Chili was fine.

Comments