A Sweet Little Wine Bar, Bacaro

Bacaro LA is a cool place for drinks with a small group of friends.

Bacaro's been around for a couple of years as a quiet but cool winebar. Perhaps its because I don't enjoy wine, is why I didn't look for it. But lately, I have been more daring and wanting to try more wine, with the films Sideways and Bottleshock.

Bacaro is on the fringes of Downtown LA, just south of the Santa Monica Freeway. You could almost say it's a College Bar, since the close vicinity of USC. Yet, as you walk in, the dark hues and spartan benches and tables give it hipster feel. I like it, as did my friends.

We got there just as the place was filling up with happy hour on its way. So we quickly ordered our tapas - in this case our dinner, with their open face burger with an egg, their white pizza, and one of their cheese plates. Their burger was really good with their almost-like-big-mac-special-sauce with the egg. I could ate it all by my self. Seriously this was a Great Burger with the Texas Toast. Next time, I might ask for the other bun and eat it all by myself. The white pizza was also tasty, yet a bit too salty. I know salty is a common theme when it comes to bar food. I know Miss B and Miss C didn't care too much for the over zestiness. We also had the Pan-Seared Scallops with Charred Brussel Sprouts, Bacon, and Balsamic. I almost forgot to mention the Noa's Cauliflower. This was presented and cooked in a way that I have never seen or tasted. The chipotle spice gives the Cauliflower great personality. Non-veggie guys might like it and can compare the meatiness of the cauliflower to a carnivorous meat. Though the scallops were quite large - they were ho-hum. The Nutella Panino was quite a treat. I didn't think I would like or would want to have dessert, it was quite good. (I am not a big dessert guy). This dessert was like a grilled sandwich, except with nutella and strawberries.

Anyways, this is a nice place to go where the food is good. I like how the menu features names like Noa's, and Dalia's. I wonder who they are. The wine list is something that I'll have to study later.

What to Order: The Bacaro Burger, Nos's Cauliflower
What not to Order: Scallops

Parking situation: Parking sucks. Street parking will be a challenge. There is a small lot behind the restaurant.

Rating
2 pigs, $$

Sino Soul's Post
Dig Lounge's Post
Yutjangsah's Post
Leimert Park Beat's Post


Bacaro L.A.
2308 S Union Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90007
(213) 748-7205
www.bacaroLA.com

Nutella Panino served with Strawberries, $5. Yummy Looks like grilled cheese sandwiches, but with nutella and strawberries.

"Noa's" Cauliflower with chipotle aioli and mixed greens, for $7, for Happy Hour - only $5. So awesome that I had never had better Cauliflower.

Bruschette with Tuscan White Bean and Dali's Open Fire Roasted Bell Peppers. Usually $7, but $5 during Happy Hour.


Grilled Panni with Gruyere and Black Forest Ham - $7, but only $5 from 5-7pm's Happy Hour.


Cheese plate appetizer with bread.

Another Cheese plate with bread.

The White Pizza with Besciamlla sauce, bacon, scallions, and mozzarella. Usually 7 bucks, but 5 bucks today.

I love this burger. The Bacaro Burger - made with estancia grass-fed beef - with a fried egg. I think this is one of the best burgers I have had in a long time.

Though a wine bar, they also feature some beers.

Look for specials on their black board. Note Happy hour is on Monday - Thursday's from 5-7pm $5 specials for all plates.

This place fills up fast. I suggest getting here early. Parking is a pain.

We got here around 6pm and luckily we got a table. See how early we got here. There was still lots of sunlight.

Bacaro L.A. on Urbanspoon
Bacaro in Los Angeles

Comments