Burgers from Five Guys

A decent burger from the East Coast, Five Guys Burgers and Fries, makes its way to my stomach. Though the image of the burger is not appetizing . . .almost looks like a sad burger, it is actually a pretty good burger.




As you walk in, you notice the permanent fixtures of self-promotion on the walls. The splashes of Zagat mentions, GQ articles, and other news items heavily make this fast food joint into a billboard spammer's space. But that aside, my online research pointed to Five Guys as a hamburger contender to In-N-Out, here in Southern California.

I wanted, make that I NEEDED, to try Five Guys. Even with its simple of menu of burgers with cheese and/or with bacon, I still wasn't' sure what I wanted. But I settled on the usual burger, fries, and a Sprite.

The burger, a double with cheese was suggested with "All The Way" - a pre-selected toppings choice. All The Way included mushrooms, mustard, ketchup, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, and mayonnaise. I must say the pickles were my favorite - crisp and tangy. Personally, I think burgers need the lettuce and tomatoes for balance of savory, little sweetness, and refreshnesses. I think the cheese could have been melted a bit more. I could have done without the mushrooms, thought I think it was a more than generous portion. The bread buns were not too big, but were almost a bit mushy with all the wet condiments and the slight dampness from the tin foil. I could see the burger being soggy if it was a to-go order. Overall, I did like it and I would come back again for the burger.

But the fries . . . I had the cajun fries which were a bit spicy, but not too spicy. They were quite tasty, a taste I almost forgot with all-the-rage of sweet potato fries, in the last few years. In fact, I would prefer cajun-spices fries over sweet potato ones any day. Yeah. . .make sure you get the cajun fries - you can't go wrong with them.

Too bad Five Guys are in far away places like Cerritos and Carson. I hope that they learn about the great markets in Pasadena, Downtown LA, etc. . .




Rating
3 pigs, $

Five Guys Burgers and Fries
20700 Avalon Blvd
Carson, CA 90746
(310) 515-7700
www.fiveguys.com

Five Guys Burgers and Fries on Urbanspoon
Five Guys Burgers and Fries in Los Angeles

Comments